Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Wow, there's a whole SAHD world out there!

Now that I've spent way too much time surfing blogs, I've found a plethora of stay-at-home-Dad blogs out there. One post from Daddy Zine in particular was quite cute (now if I can just figure out how this trackback thing works... edited: Thanks, HaloScan!). A is in the middle of potty training, with much the same revulsion to the toilet. I think we may use this! Funny how my 4-month old uses the toilet more than my toddler.

I wonder if, through these sites, I'll find some moms married to these SAHDs to banter about with. It's a lonely world for us... ok, for ME! Some may be having the time of their lives with this arrangement. I could use some of their input. And for the rest of us, I could use some commiseration as well.

Hubby J has been a SAHD since daughter N (5) was born. Well, really before that as well. Somehow he's managing a household with three little girls, countless fish, and a few million instar beetles, or gnats, or whatever they are. The lizard and the dog left before #3 was born, so maybe it's not as chaotic as it could be. Oh, I have plenty of complaints, and on really bad days more resentment than I care to admit. But he's a great Daddy, and frankly I'd rather have a pile of dishes on the counter and five loads of laundry to do every weekend than bored, unhappy kids (sssshhhhhhhh!). N informed me at lunch (I go home for lunch to nurse A) that Daddy helped her with a particularly difficult poop this morning, and how much she loved him for that. My mantra from the beginning of this sociology experiment has been, "Just because he does things differently than I would doesn't mean he is wrong." In this case, I think I would have been there holding her hand, too. It gives me a warm glow when we would both do the same thing, and I know he's there to do it.

Here's to Stay-At-Home Dads! And the Mommy's who love them!

2 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, May 31, 2005, Blogger Tulipmania said...

Your hubby sounds like a great dad:)

It's so wonderful that we live in a time where spouses can do different --non-traditional roles--yet I'm sure it's hard for you in a lot of ways. I can understand. My sister's husband stays home with their kids and so I've seen the dynamics first hand.

It's hard for her, she feels a lot of resentment for being the income earner--yet she's grateful for the care and love he gives the kids.

I always think the best way would be for both parents to be able to work good paying part time jobs. That way, they both get outside world time and time at home equally. Of course, this is really hard to do, but it's my dream.

 
At 4:31 AM, January 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there other forums/blogs that are more specific for this topic? I have not found one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next