Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Viva Chavez!

I just can't say enough kind things about Pat Robertson. Actually, I can't say anything kind about him at all. I don't even have to say anything bad about him - he does it for me.

Tuesday he called for the assassination of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez on his 700 Club television show:

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop....

....We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."


Then this morning he said the Associated Press misinterpreted his "if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it" quote, because what he really meant was that we should kidnap him, not assassinate him.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out....'Take him out' could be a number of things including kidnapping."


Later in the day, God must have spoken to him and told him he's an idiot, so he apologized:

"Is it right to call for assassination?" Robertson said. "No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."


Pat Robertson is a plague on mankind.

Now, I spent a month in Venezuela in 1987 during a neotropical biology class. I saw the cities and the slums. I saw poor goldminers in shantytowns drinking river water laced with the mercury they used to precipitate out the gold, while the Big Boss Man in his compound by the goldmine drank imported bottled water. I saw the slums of Caracas while driving to a posh penthouse apartment. Malnourished kids tried to sell us necklaces of stag beetle horns, as the insects wandered around headless for days on the cracked cement of the hotel porch. Venezuela is an OPEC country. It is a major producer of gold. It has resources that most of its people are not benefiting from. This country needed a man like Chavez to help the folks that capitalism was exploiting.

So he thinks Bush is an idiot. So do I. So he believes in helping his people. So do I. So he thinks the U.S. may be trying to get rid of him. He has an attempted coup against him to help convince him, along with us invading a country for no valid reason. He has oil, Iraq has oil. He's not talking pretty with Bush. Even if we aren't trying to "take him out," I can sure see why he'd think we are.

Viva Chavez! Hey, send Pat some of that "special" water from Christina Quatro, will you?

4 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger eric said...

I'm not sure I'm as enthusiastic about Chavez as you are.

But I will say this about Pat Robertson: he has endangered the lives of missionaries down there.

but their probably liberal anyway ... and catholic ... and don't pray for three supreme court justices to croak.

e+

 
At 11:18 PM, August 28, 2005, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

I can't say that I know enough about Chavez to be "enthusiastic" about him. I just know what I've heard here and there, enough to like a good portion of what I've been exposed to. That's compared to not liking anything I've heard and read about Pat Robertson.

I saw "The Mission" while in Caracas. It was an excellent venue for such a film. I have this thing for Franciscan monks - I love them! Maybe because my dad was once in a monastary. It's a lot of other missionaries I have some problems with. But I agree, they could be Jesus and his apostles incarnate and they'd still face problems because of Pat's influence.

 
At 7:50 PM, August 30, 2005, Blogger eric said...

the franciscan order -- to me -- is by far the purest form of christian living.

a guy i work with spent two meditating/studying/learning to enter some type of franciscan order through the anglican church.

when everyone's bitching about their jobs, i point to him. they agree at how poised he is. i point out that he's basically a franciscan friar.

why friar? because the franciscans were about going into the world with nothing and speaking to people's souls.

the monks retreated to their monasteries to save their own.

don't get me wrong: the monks did good work in preserving and passing on records of the early christian times, but the franciscans fulfilled what i see as the purest christ-like life.

e+

 
At 1:46 AM, February 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am originally from Venezuela, with family still remaining there. Because my family has publicly voiced that they do not support Chavez (petitions, etc), they have been blacklisted; my uncle, taught in England with a PhD in Chemisty, has not received paychecks in months from the government university he works for. My other uncle, an EMT, cannot get a job in any hospital because administrators do not want to upset the government that oversees the hospital networks.

Many people have given up hope in voting because elections are fixed.

My aunt and her son cannot get visas to leave the country because they are given numerous ridiculous excuses like "we don't have any paper" or "there's no one in the office, come back later."

An influx of Cuban soldiers have come.

Yes, Viva Chavez for financially crippling my family.

The country may be in a sorry state, but Chavez is not the answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next