Friday, August 05, 2005

Goin' camping!

The girls and I are headed out to Utah for a bit of rustic R&R this weekend. Well, as rustic as car camping can be. I hear there are actual flush toilets at the camp ground. There go my plans to teach the girls how to pee in the woods. Hubby's staying home as he has a class to teach, and I think some reporters to talk to. I've been out on trips with the three of them by myself several times, so I'm not worried about being a single parent, I'll just miss him.

This is the first time the girls have been camping. I think the last time I've been in a tent was seven years ago when I lived in one (that's a fun story for the kids that I may relate some time later). We'll be with some friends of ours, who are also bringing their four-year-old daughter. Should be lots of fun, and hopefully not much rain. Thunderstorms are wonderful when you have a nice warm, dry house to watch them from. Not necessarily enjoyable while in a tent, IMHO.

N was jabbering about s'mores all morning. I didn't tell them we were going camping until breakfast today. I knew she'd be wanting s'mores... I don't think I wanted to hear about them for a couple of weeks while we waited, LOL.

4 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger eric said...

speaking of rain and tents ... i learned at an early age (8, at summer camp) never to cast your lot on low ground.

they tried to warn me and my partner. all our stuff was wet and we ended up sharing a tent with two other kids.

anyone will tell you ... i'm obsessed with the high ground. we live on the highest peak in my neighborhood.

e+

 
At 6:24 AM, August 07, 2005, Blogger aaron said...

Mmmmmm, s'mores.

Hope you had a great time and saw lots of beautiful/neat/crawly things.

 
At 9:42 PM, August 08, 2005, Blogger Tulipmania said...

How did your camping trip go? Did you have fun with the girls? I hope you have a wonderful, magical time!

 
At 2:15 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Eric - my husband says the same thing about camping in tank trails. Soft, but dangerous!

We did have a great time, although I got a speeding ticket. Sucks royally, because if I hadn't missed a turn I wouldn't have been travelling down that spot of road. Rained a bit, had lots of yummy s'mores once we were able to get the fire going, didn't catch a single fish but still enjoyed the weekend. Although, A (nearing three) insisted on putting everything she could find in her mouth. Including trying to suck the lake water up with a discarded straw, and even worse, playing with a plastic tampon applicator found on the beach. Ick! Ah well, made it memorable, eh? Hubby even made it up for Saturday night, although the trees and clouds made for poor stargazing.

As for crawly things, I forgot my live rat traps, so no mice to peek at. There were ground squirrels to excite the girls, as well as deer on the drive up, and let's not forget the myriad of moths and blister beetles in the bathroom and tent! I think half the adventure of car camping are the trips to the bathroom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next