Tuesday, March 14, 2006

NOW on the real Mommy Wars

The National Organization of Women has responded to the latest media frenzy about the Mommy Wars*. In an excellent letter to Dianne Sawyer (who hosted a two-day Mommy Wars feature on ABC's Good Morning America, NOW President Kim Gandy discusses what a disservice to Moms and Dads everywhere such baiting and divisive prodding acheives.

Yay.

I particularly like how Ms. Gandy outlines some very realistic, very acheivable, very helpful suggestions on how to make life as a Parent in this society easier and healthier for the entire family:

How can our society better support mothers and caregivers so that they can choose to work either outside or inside the home—whether it's full-time or part-time—without additional guilt, financial strife or other barriers? How can workplaces, educational institutions, the public service sector and our government make caregiving a more respected and less stressful endeavor? Paid family leave, recognition of the work of caregivers by providing disability and unemployment insurance, Social Security credits, group health insurance, respite care services, public transportation and early childhood education in every community come to mind, but there are many others.

It is also crucial to talk about men's role and responsibility in parenting. Women need to know that they don't have to do it all. For example, men who choose to stay at home with their children are often ridiculed or overlooked, rather than supported.


Double Yay.

This whole Mommy Wars crap is bogus hoopla (HOOPLA!) that just makes us angry at each other because we perceive slights to our worth as Mom, Wife, Woman, Employee, and/or Human. We each have our own realities, each very much a part of ourselves and whose importance to our families is irrefutable. Stop listening to the pundits trying to get a good fight going to sell books and airtime. Listen to the people actually trying to help you, and put your energy towards solving the problem instead of making a problem.

*Following RebelDad's and Imponderabilia's lead, I'm now linking any reference to the Mommy Wars to the bookThe Truth Behind the Mommy Wars: Who Decides What Makes a Good Mother? by Miriam Peskowitz. I haven't read the book, but then I haven't seen the Good Morning America pieces either (I work, remember). I trust my sources who say it is a thoughtful, well-researched piece about Motherhood in our American society.

Hattip to RebelDad for bringing my attention to the letter by NOW.

6 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Sandy D. said...

You should read it sometime, if you can. It was like a breath of fresh air after a lot of stale hot air. :-)

Thanks for your comment a while back, btw, and I've been enjoying your blog. The snakes & St. Pat's post made me laugh.

 
At 2:57 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Glad you made it over here, Sandy. I enjoy yours as well.

I do want to read it. I also have about fourty other books I have on my "must read list", and I'm reading about five of them at one time.

Somehow, I never get to finish them!

 
At 12:14 PM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Blue Moon Mama said...

I think the kinds of suggestions that Ms. Gandy makes are key!! When will we all sort through the guilt and criticism to work on real solutions? Mothers -- and fathers -- need real flexibility. I actually don't think the solutions are all that difficult, but for some reason, we can't seem to get to the point of proposing real solutions.

 
At 2:04 PM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

BlueMoonMama - I agree. We're still in the name-calling stage, kinda like Congress. We're egged on by special interests... kinda like Congress.

I love it when solutions are offered instead of hyperbole. And her solutions really are so doable.

Unfortunately, many of them may need an Act of Congress to impliment (see above, lol).

 
At 9:25 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

I am a dad (stay at home) who naively ran into this issue while in the observation room at gymnastics.

One of the stay at home mom's made a comment about attending a gymnastics class in the evenings with the working moms. I didn't think anything of it until I mentioned it to my wife (a working doctor). She immediately berated the commenting mom, posted about it on a web forum and received several replies about how awful a person the commenting mom was.

Being married to a working mom and surrounded by stay at home moms, I have decided not to have an opinion on this.

 
At 12:17 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Hey, Jeff. Welcome! I'm a bit confused over what the commenting SAHM said to cause such ire, as you said she just mentioned going to class with the working moms (Yay! Desegregate the parents!) but I can imagine what may have been said.

Which is worse. My imagination always gets the better of me.

So, since by default I have to ignore my imagination, I'll just say that gosh, I wish our town had gymnastics classes in the evening so I could go to them!

In an attempt to do something instead of grumble about it, I did ask about such things, but "They" seem to think there wouldn't be enough parents interested in classes for their kids in the evening or weekends.

And so the isolationism and segregation continues.

And my children continue to be incapable of doing cartwheels.

Keep stopping by! And, your opinions are safe to express here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next