Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mommy (and Daddy) wars

RebelDad sent me wandering over to The Imponderabilia of Actual Life discussing Happy Housewives written by Darla Shine.

I said my piece about the book, which I admittedly have not read, in RebelDad's comments. What I want to briefly discuss here is the polarity this book endorses. Maybe not by design (although the excerpts Imponderabilia posts suggest otherwise), but the end result is the same: Mommy Wars.

Way back when, five lifetimes ago before I ever got pregnant, I had no idea such a thing existed. Then I found out there were entire debate bulletin boards devoted to "SAHM/WOHM." What? What is there to debate - you work, or you don't. There's something to debate over this? Now, three kids, a SAHD, and a mental book of pointed comments I've heard over the years later, I'm wiser.

Not happier, just wiser.

I'm still perplexed, though. What is it about a working mom, or a stay-at-home mom, that causes such dichotomous reactions? I read about stay-at-home moms saying they feel they have to defend their choice. To whom? I could be the proverbial southern belle insisting she simply doesn't understand what all the darkies are complaining about, but I'm thinking the SAHMs feel they more have to defend their choice to stay at home with themselves, and not (many) other people. But, since I'm not a SAHM, I obviously don't have a leg to stand on that assumption, so I will accept that yes, SAHMs have reason to feel defensive about their lifestyle. It's a hard job that I do see not everyone appreciates.

Being a WOHM, of course, I can bring up all sorts of examples of WOHM-unfriendly comments and practices. Not only do I have to put up with various attacks against my worthiness as a mother, woman, and employee, I can't schedule swim classes or other fun child-enriching activities because they're all scheduled during the weekday.

And then there are the dads. Either they are accused of being hopeless parents and helpmates, or they are questioned about their masculinity and worthiness because they stay at home with the kids.

What is the point? All this bickering and martyrdom does is create a schism in what should be a united front of parents. People who need the support and comoraderie shared in a history of poopy diapers, sleepless baby nights, countless homework hours, pacing the porch during prom night, and worries about how we will possibly get along with our child's in-laws.

We all try to do our best for ourselves and our family, however that works for us. There is no room in our already overcrowded schedule to condemn others for doing things differently than us. We may give pause to consider someone with a different lifestyle, but in the end, it isn't our place to attack them or martyr ourselves.

We are parents. We know how much support and understanding goes towards raising our kids. We know how much support and understanding helps us get through the tough times. We know along with all the joys and wonder and exhileration of having kids, there are also worries, difficulties, and plain old exhaustion. What is there to gain by criticizing parents for staying at home or working? Why even suggest a parent is any less of a parent simply because of gender or employment status? Such generalities hurt us all. Why not put that energy towards making society more accepting and helpful for both the stay-at-home parents and the working parents, like advocating better family-friendly workplace policies so that both parents can help each other and their kids, or lets the single parent raise his or her children in a less-stressed environment.

12 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, February 16, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

Amen! Great post! Followed you over here from Rebel Dad.

 
At 2:38 PM, February 16, 2006, Blogger erinberry said...

Well said. I feel an incredible amount of pressure from my family for me to be a SAHM or to have my husband be a SAHD. The fact is, if we want to remain in our home and not move to an apartment, or a neighborhood in which we don't feel very safe, or a house with only one bathroom, then I have to work. I am the primary breadwinner, period. My husband is in school, and who am I to see he can't begin his new career when he graduates next year, that he has to stay at home with our new child and forget about this new part of his life? I resent that pressure.

 
At 12:01 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Say it, sister!

 
At 9:20 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger LB said...

you go girl. I'll be following up in my spot sometime soon, I'm sure.

 
At 8:54 AM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Chag - Welcome! I'm not sure the demographic data is correct - I'm finding more and more groovy SAHDs out there.

Erinberry - (letting my vestigial Californian slip through), I'm totally with you there. My family isn't overtly upset with our arrangement, although sometimes a comment slips through. I do get pressure, although not pointed, from various social and workplace sources, even before I got pregnant. I started to see it with other women I worked with who became gravid. All of them from that time ended up staying at home. Which is fine, but it wasn't their initial first choice. However, once you hold your child in your arms, it's very very hard to let it go (at least, in my experience). Perhaps this is where some of the criticizm comes from? How can you possibly leave such an amazing creature for any period of time? Yah, well, then that theory gets bashed when I hear of how many SAHMs find it necessary to leave their precious creatures for vacations, the gym, girls' night out, spa, library, wherever. Me? I take advantage of every minute I have with my kids. I don't go anywhere without my kids unless I have to. We've never had a babysitter. But that's me, that's us. And I babble. Point is - hold your head up high because you are doing what you know is best for you and your family.

Katharine - Said! Always happy to have a receptive audience : )

lb - good to see a comment from you! I always look forward to pithy words from you. I'm looking forward to reading your take on this. Hugs to the kids, and that giddy boy of yours.

 
At 6:33 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

I've done both, stayed at home and worked. I prefer to stay at home, my mood is easier and I have the time to spend with my kids. As you know they grow up quick.

When I was at work i found it was too much pressure on me to do both. I choose my path, not everyone will walk my path but they do punish me for walking it.

I never mean to put working moms down but I find myself under attack constantly by government and citizens. They picture us as you say a southern belle or a welfare case. We are neither, we are parents who love our children.

Our children are loved by outside working parents and at home working parents exactly the same.
The difference is childcare is my profession instead of lawyer dr, etc...

Instead the government calls me a non-working dependent and that hurts....

Yes, I believe that equality is where the childcare should stand. If you work outside of inside the home the same respect should go to all of you!

 
At 9:58 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Sara - welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by and adding your input. Let me clarify - I was calling only myself a clueless southern belle unable to see the viewpoint of another class, not anyone else.

It is very hard not to, at the least, grumble about "the other side" when I feel like "they" are attacking me. Titles such as that given you that suggest lesser worth don't help, either. But it's not the parents that, at the root of it, are attacking or trying to define our station with misleading names. It's Society. Until we stop fighting each other and instead work towards mutual respect and equality, Society will maintain status quo.

So, in short, thanks. It's nice to hear "the other side" say the same thing.

 
At 10:08 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

I agree, we aren't against each other here. The media has made us look like we are at war.
The reason why I bring feminism into this is because a lot of feminist in Canada have become dark and cold.

Daycare lobbyist in Canada are running around saying all children must attend daycare. Stay at home parenting is a thing of the past. I don't believe that, nor do I believe all moms must childcare their own children. I believe that is a choice we should make freely.

I do believe in feminism but not when these woman represent it and stand against me...
I am a mom, wife and then a woman.

"That is my choice and only my choice, I don't wish to make it yours so why do they wish to make their choices mine...."

Sorry I sound harsh but it is not meant to be. I have been fighting for a long time for "fund the child" and I get personally attacked a lot. Like I said sometimes its hard not to bite back :)

We have approached the daycare lobbyist and were told that stay at home parenting was not their concern, only the children were their concern... oximoron eh?

How close to N.Y. city are you?

 
At 9:45 PM, February 20, 2006, Blogger eric said...

speaking as someone who is a dad and sometimes stays home (like, say, a saturday night so my wife can go out), i can say that it's quite a job.

who's better suited to do it? answer that question individually and any other answer doesn't matter, to me.

e+

 
At 4:34 AM, March 02, 2006, Blogger Blue Moon Mama said...

A very good post. Glad I found my way to your blog.

I don't think of myself as having chosen lawyering over childcare. I still do plenty of childcare, but I share the childcare role with others (my mother-in-law, who cares for the Squeaker while I'm at work). I think being a working mom is really like having two jobs, rather than one.

Sometimes, that leaves me feeling like I'm being pulled in two different directions, and thus doing neither job as well as I could if I had just one. But other times, I think one role enhances the other.

But no matter what choices mothers make in our society, there is some loss. We lose time with our children to work, if we need to do that to ensure they have a safe place to live. Or we end up somewhat marginalized if we stay home, because our culture merges professional self and personal self, and stay-at-home moms are perceived to lack the former.

 
At 7:02 AM, March 07, 2006, Blogger C said...

Whoo! Good post.

The one commonality is that we all sacrifice. Children take sacrifice ... period!

 
At 3:17 PM, March 07, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Eric - exactly. Each to his own. BTW, I find nights home alone the perfect time to bake cookies. you just may perfect those soft chewies : )

Blue Moon Mama, I'm glad you found your way here, too! Yes, there is a loss in any choice we make. That's because it's a *choice*, and any choice implies not getting one or more options. But, yes, it is more than that. To continue on with the cookie theme (I must be hungry), spending time away from the kids to work isn't the same as not getting the oatmeal raisin instead of the chocolate chip. I do feel like I'm missing out on quite a bit, too much, even. But parenthood isn't just about Mom. It's about everyone in the family. Whether working means food on the table and a roof over our heads, like in my family, or a Mom or Dad who feels happier when doing something in addition to being Mom or Dad, it still makes for a happier family than if said parent didn't work. Similarly, if not working is viable, and Mom or Dad likes staying at home (as is the case with our Daddy), it means a happier family than if said parent worked. I agree, too, that by my working I bring other intangible benefits to my job as a Mom. Still, even though our situation works for us, I hate travelling away from my kids, and I'd really like to take a few swim classes with them. But I can't get everything, even if I stayed home.

Christine - "Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness." - Napoleon Hill

Not that I see raising kids a great sacrifice, as sacrifice implies giving up something dearly love, at least, to me. Nothing I lost to parenthood is comparable to what I gained as a parent.

Oh, and welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next