Sunday, January 15, 2006

Girls' Weekend

What makes a girls' weekend? Friends of mine head to some city of ill-repute, drink it up, make up names perhaps, and maybe "enjoy" a night of ,Thunder Down Under.

In a past life, well over a decade ago, I saw Thunder Down Under once. That was one time too many. A bunch of buff, yeah, but sleazy men in speedos getting partial erections while dancing with each other. Then, they head out into the crowd to dance with the ladies, picking the least attractive and most desperate women out there as their partners, with a distinctive pointy way that only sweaty, scantily clad, aroused men are capable of. The rest of the evening is spent in a torturous silent entreaty to not attract the attention of anything fleshy and failing any test of flacidness.

But the promise of sexually confused erotica is not the only thing that may define a girls' night out. I remember chocolate was definately a part of any estrogenic gathering. A rousing conversation about custom-made Sherman traps was a sure-bet if I had enough Rum 151 in me. If we were out in public, there was always a good chance of a man attempting to woo us into his waiting limosine as he plied us with a doctored photo of a baby with a gorilla's head pasted above its shoulders (for the record, it didn't work, but did make him memorable).

Honestly, though, I haven't had many girls' nights out. It may have something to do with my inebriated affection for Sherman traps, I admit. So when Hubby left on Saturday morning for Elko to watch Stardust return to Earth, the four of us girls had to make up our own rituals for an all-ovarian weekend.

Thunder Down Under was definately not an option. Nor was alcohol, or lecherous species-confused men. That left chocolate.

Hubby can't eat chocolate, or a lot of protein, so we took advantage of his absence and ate a large Mexican bean-and-meat-filled lunch and baked a chocolate devils food cake, with chocolate fudge icing, and chocolate sprinkles. I let the little girls design the confection, which included a Valentine heart Peep on top. Of course, a cake that decadent needs candles to lick the icing off of, so we added four birthday candles to blow out while singing "Happy Girls' Weekend To Us."

It was a wonderful day, and is the custom when tucking in for the night, I asked the girls who can talk what they wanted to dream of. N said "this day." One of those rare perfect days worthy of dreams.

This morning, we had a small hike out in the desert, where I was able to talk for a brief moment about Sherman traps while checking out a kangaroo rat warren. Girls' night continued, without the need of rum.

Chocobaby

3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

I hear you on Thunder Down Under. Thankfully, I haven't personally had the experience, but I've seen enough to know that I would end up with a tale like yours.

My clan is all girls plus daddy so there will likely be some girls' weekends in our future, too.

 
At 7:04 AM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Gina in N'Awlins said...

She is NOT that big yet? What a cutey ;~)

N is so very smart - the gems she comes up with . . . this day . . . this day . . .

XOXOX

 
At 4:29 PM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Sara - it's usually Daddy who gets the girls by himself, so this weekend was new for me. I hope you have as much fun as I did! BTW, I've been following your Spiral Scouts entries... they're just talking about starting some circles here, but nothing has happened. I'm looking forward to reading about how much you like, or don't like, them.

Gina! Good to see you! No, she's not that big. I'm still looking at little dolls and thinking she still fits in my tummy like they would. I. Refuse. To. Face. Reality. That is, until she does something so utterly cute that a newborn, or fetus, can't do, and them I'm all about "Isn't she getting so big?!" No, I'm not getting your e-mails. You can reach me through here at notsolittlefeat at yahoo dot com . My usual yahoo account works too - forget the netscape one. It's been toast for a long time - it kept bombing out at home. Is your mom rebuilding the store in New Orleans? Are you still going to school?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next