Friday, February 10, 2006

Letting go

My kindergartner has a love-hate relationship with a girl in her class. I'll call her Troi, because she has the same hair as bean-head Counselor Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's one of those fickle, confusing "friendships," where Troi is terribly mean and nasty to N one day, then is best friends with her the next.

There are various reasons I don't like Troi, mostly centering around how she confuses and hurts MY little girl. She is also prostheletizing to N, filling her head with Heaven and Jesus and how N's parents are going to Hell because we don't believe in that. I try to be tolerant with Troi, I even took N to church last weekend (Unitarian Universalist; take THAT Troi!) because she asked to go, and I'm into letting my children explore their spirituality. Yesterday, she came home and told me how Troi said women can't marry women, and what does gay mean? Finally, I had a passionate, reasoned response to Troi, and told her in no uncertain terms I will NOT let anyone tell my daughter who she can and cannot marry (secretly thinking, "Except ME, of course!").

Anyways, as usual, I digress. In short, Troi is a fickle little girl who likes to manipulate others. You can't really tell that from the previous paragraph, because I didn't want to digress TOO much.

What brings me to talking about this is what happened this morning. Hubby dropped N off at school. For some reason, when I drop her off (which is the norm), I may exchange a few greetings and how-are-you's with a few moms and dads, but that's about it. When Hubby does the drop-off, he comes back with gossip. Maybe it's an at-home parent thing, I don't know. I kinda feel left out, but console myself with the thought that maybe they all think I'm too nice to sully with gossip talk. yah, that's it.

So, you see, back to the story, N asked Hubby if she could play with Troi before the bell rang. Hubby said sure, go for it. As they scampered off, the two moms (whom we've known for years) talking with Hubby looked aghast at Hubby and said, "You let her play with Troi?"

Ok, I guess I'm not the only one who isn't all that comfortable with her. That made me feel like I had more leverage to tell N, "You know, if she's going to be mean to you, don't play with her. Good friends don't tell you they won't invite you to their birthday party and then invite other people right in front of you." (yah, that's another thing she did). And I felt a bit elated at how Troi was not as popular as I thought she may be.

But then I thought a bit more about it. True, only skanks trash you in front of other people. But it's up to N to make these decisions, not someone else's mom. Gossip should not in any shape or form be a tool for deciding whether or not to like someone.

I was brought back to my schooldays, and the hurt gossip created. I thought back to ten years ago, last year, last week, hell, any time, and how even as adults gossip creates all sorts of problems.

I realized I had to let that comment go.

If I want my girl to make decisions based on fact and not innuendo, if I want her to refuse to spread gossip and hurt and be true to herself and her values, I cannot use gossip to validate my own feelings about her friends (or, in this case, tormenter).

My little girl is in the Big(gish) World now. I have to let her make her own decisions.

I have to be objective when she asks for my help.

I have to be there for her when she finds out she made the wrong choice.

And that's hard, letting go.

8 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

It sure is hard, KZ. You're doing the right thing.

 
At 1:06 PM, February 11, 2006, Blogger eric said...

very, very good self-reflection.

gossip is an addiction. a way to have control over what you can't control.

i try to imagine if i would say the same thing to someone i would say to others. it doesn't always work.

i will say this ... i respect far more someone who is a bitch/asshole to my face rather than trash me behind my back.

i don't know everything, but you might give this girl credit for that.

e+

 
At 8:54 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Katharine - Thanks. I reserve to make wild-ass judgement on registered sex offenders in my neighborhood, though.

Eric - Point well-taken. I will give her credit for that, and it gives me an angle to discuss the day's hurt with N.

Gossip is very addicting - it's a struggle to keep my mouth shut at times, and I don't always succeed. Thankfully, I'm pretty good at it around the kids.

 
At 4:24 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger eric said...

staying away from gossipping is like staying away from tub of ice cream you know shouldn't eat but do anyway. if you hold out, you feel like you accomplished something.

e+

 
At 11:02 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger SJ said...

But Troi is only 5. If she continues at this rate, she'll be bothering the shit out of Picard by 3rd grade and then what will Wesley Crusher do?

 
At 3:02 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Eric - perhaps we could collaborate on marketing a new diet, with the main principle of using gossip as a reward. Only 1,000 calories consumed today? You get to gossip about your supposed best-friend. No, wait, that's called Anorexic Junior High. Seen that, don't want to again.

SJ - so good to see you in this quadrant! Locutus can handle a third-grader, and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn what Wesley will do. Troi will have him simpering and wrapped around her little finger unless he stops looking for approval by his heros and starts living his own life. Stop by, anytime!

 
At 3:29 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger erinberry said...

She sounds like a nightmare! I imagine it would be very hard not to pull a Bunny Foo-Foo and bop her on the head. You demonstrate amazing restraint! :)

 
At 8:49 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Kindergarten is a fickle world. Understanding this brings great anxiety-ridding rewards. I haven't heard any more concerns about Troi, and N has been expanding her friend network (by design or chance, I don't know)the past week. Troi, for now, is spared the wrath of the Gooooooood Fairy.

I can't wait for you to sing that song to your daughter, hee hee. My girls would be far too traumatized with it. OK, wait, N would be traumatized. S would start a string similar to : "Why did the bunny scoop up the field mice? Why did the Goood Fairy turn him into a goon? Was the Good Fairy green? What were the names of the field mice? Will you bop me on the head? I want to eat a mouse."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next