Wednesday, June 28, 2006

And the walls came tumbling down...

Hi! It's been awhile. June is nearly over, and I haven't posted ONE thing yet, except for an unintentionally anonymous response saying I'm busy.

Not anymore. Oh, I'm busy, just not busy with daydreaming of a new place.... water... trees.... snow.... progressive.... that I have been for the past month or so.

See, I put in for a job back East. Way East. Way NorthEast in the land of maple trees and snow. It was a downgrade, I'd be making less, putting away less for retirement, but I'd be in a place with excellent schools, a nice blue state where I wouldn't have to fear for my daughters' safety as much, snow, cheap land, perhaps a few ponies..... I'd also have a job where I'd be making a difference, not just being a beaurocrat. AND, probably best of all, I wouldn't have to leave my family for two weeks every two or three months.

I made it past 34 qualified candidates to reference checks, and then to an interview.

But, today, I found out I didn't get the job. I didn't even come in second. I am really very very VERY disappointed. See, not only does it mean I can't get out of this... this... PLACE I'm at, but I, with all of my experience, skills, and education can't even get demoted into a job.

That, friends, is the feeling of being trapped.

That's all for now. Were I to continue, it would just get ugly.

6 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, June 29, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. :(

 
At 5:40 AM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Blue Moon Mama said...

So sorry to hear. :(

Maybe you didn't get the job BECAUSE it would have been a demotion (rather than in spite of that...). Maybe they were worried about you being overqualified, which might mean you wouldn't stick with it for long.

I don't know. Don't lose hope. There is always another opportunity. :)

 
At 6:15 AM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

KZ, I'm glad you're back.

And the interviewers just didn't realize what they're missing out on. But that means there's a better job out there somewhere for you.

 
At 4:05 PM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Kristen said...

Ugh -- nothing worse than that trapped feeling -- sounds like you need to get away -- (and I'm not talking about an alfalfa field here) -- see a sunrise or a sunset -- perhaps smell some ocean air.... is it possible? maybe not -- but close those eyes lady, and dream.

They are the unfortunate ones.

 
At 2:07 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger eric said...

wasn't meant to be.

that's all it really comes down to.

e+

 
At 4:16 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger erinberry said...

I'm really sorry - I'm sure you will find something that suits you and your family even better... I find myself longing for blue-state-ness too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next