Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Questioning Authority

(warning, stream of consciousness post as I ramble on trying to figure this out myself)

So, N came home from kindergarten on Monday saying that the teacher said ducks are not birds, humans are not apes, and when N said they were, the whole class laughed at her.

I told her ducks are birds, humans are apes, and I'll discuss this with her teacher. Tuesday morning Mrs. O and I made arrangements for me to talk to her this morning.

I wanted to find out what happened from the teacher's perspective, as I couldn't believe Mrs. O would say those things.

Ok, ducks are birds, Mrs. O agrees with me, she said there was a lot of talking going on when she was starting a discussion about animals, that's probably where she heard that. That was my easy lead-in into the ape discussion....

Mrs. O was talking about animals, how insects are animals, fish are animals, even we humans are animals. Much disagreement from the class on that one. She said, oh yes, we're animals, and we're mammals, too! The class in general was in disbelief. It was then that N, being the true daughter of a zoologist that she is, raised her hand and said that we're apes as well.

The class laughed at her. Mrs. O then told her that we are NOT apes, we're humans.

N, being the smart yet sensitive child she is, was totally confused and ended up crying when she told me this story. I don't think she cried in class, though. But it was obvious that this conflict was upsetting her.

Here's the thing. Hubby and I have been telling her we're apes since, heck, I have no idea, probably ever since she started showing an interest in animals. So, like, for the past five years? The fact is, we are apes. Evolution or creation, we are classified in the Linnean taxonomic system as hominids, along with gorillas, chimpanzees, and (for some camps) orangutans. If a creationist can agree that we are mammals, then I don't see how they can't agree we are apes as well. The taxonomy doesn't say we are descended from apes, just that we are apes, like we are mammals, chordates, and animals. Mrs. O insisted in my talk with her that we are not apes, we are humans, not grasping that all humans are apes, but not all apes are humans. Fine, I knew I wasn't going to change her mind (especially since I somehow, unforgivably broke down and started crying over this whole thing myself), and I felt bad enough about coming in and questioning her about this little incident since she has always shown herself to be such a thoughtful, sincere, effective teacher. And I know that kindergarten is not really the place to debate creationism vs. evolution.

Or maybe it is. I mean, not a debate, but allowing an open, respectful environment for discussion of different beliefs. Shouldn't we be teaching our kids how to listen to and respect different viewpoints from early on?

Yah, in a perfect world where the teachers have the time to do that, and the willingness, and the support of the parents as well. Which means that, no, kindergarten or high school for that matter is not the place for such things. Sigh.

So, here she is, after listening to and believing her parents for most of her life about what she is, her teacher is telling her something different. And the kids are laughing at her for believing her parents.

I know that I will have to talk to her in the next few nights about how, yes, we are apes, yet Mrs. O doesn't know everything about taxonomy, and that I'm proud of her for sticking to her guns regardless of the kids laughing at her and the teacher disagreeing with her. I'll have to discuss how the topic of humans as animals and apes will lead into the very sensitive subject of evolution for many kids in her class, since they are taught that humans were created, and this somehow conflicts with them being apes. I don't really understand it, I can't get my mind around why that's a conflict, but it is and we have to be aware of that.

Which leads into why Mrs. O let the class laugh at her and agreed with them. She can't and won't get into an evolution/creation discussion (if I came in because she said humans aren't apes, imagine the parents she'll have storming in about her saying we are apes..... I guess, even though I still insist it isn't a true evolution topic. Yet, I did come in with the idea that her insistence we aren't apes stemmed from some force keeping her from even remotely dismissing creationism..... is it all in my head, or not? I mean, Natassia has been pounded by religious fundamentalist (mostly Christian and LDS) classmates this whole school year, I am already sensitive to her - or perhaps in reality my - beliefs getting trounced. No, it's not just in my head, because Mrs. O did say she wants to avoid parents on the other end of the faith spectrum getting angry over this.)

So, this all winds down to questioning authority. Should she believe the teacher, or her parents? Should she toss both aside and find her own truths, as it were? When is it appropriate to say to a teacher, or a parent, "No, you're wrong." (and, do I put a question mark in there, or keep it as a period?) When should she simply dismiss her teacher/parent and not cause a disruption, and when should she insist that her views be taken seriously and be given due consideration and respect? Should she have just sat there and let the kids laugh at her, or should she have insisted that she is right and keep insisting until the teacher stops the laughter and tells the class that Natassia is entitled to her beliefs and respect for those beliefs?

I hate it when I have to bite my tongue and let my peers or superiors say and or do something I completely disagree with. Sometimes I'm ashamed that I did nothing. I struggle with this issue myself all the time... how do I help guide my kids through it as well?

5 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

We're apes. Perhaps not all of her classmates were laughing.

 
At 10:22 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

My guess is that phrases such at 'classified in the Linnean taxonomic system as hominids' went right over the teacher's head.

My wife (who is very well educated) grew up as a missouri synod lutheran and believe's in a very literal bible version of creation. Even though she does not attend that church anymore and even though she believes in modern molecular biology, dinosaurs, and the fact that the world is older than 5-10k years. She can not believe in evolution. It just contradicts too much of what she was taught when she was young.

I don't think it matters what the kids think as long as they are able to keep an open mind as they go through life. I want my kids to have the option of becoming hindu believing that the world rests on a infinite stack of turtles. I just don't want them to excercise that option because ELCA lutheran isn't *that* liberal yet.

 
At 8:30 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger erinberry said...

Good for N!

Did I ever tell you that a woman I know here in TN said her elementary-school-age son got made of for believing in evolution... Kids were calling him a monkey worshipper!

 
At 8:31 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

I hate it when educators are close-minded and don't stick up for children who don't buy the mainstream stuff. You did good in talking with the teacher. I think I'd have yet another talk with the teacher—and then with the principal, if that didn't work—and ask that she not allow the kids to laugh at one another's beliefs and that she teach them that it's okay to have different beliefs and that others' beliefs should be respected.

And you are right. We are apes.

 
At 3:08 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

Sara - I like to think not all of her classmates were laughing. I do know that not all of her classmates say the Pledge of Allegience, either (as I have requested she refrain from as well). Hubby has said we have to meet those kids' parents, LOL. Of course, they could end up being Jehovah's Witnesses instead of progressive liberals, but there's defiance there, Man! In a six-year-old's mind, though, three laughing might as well be 27 laughing. Mrs. O said that not the whole class laughed, but I think that's just a matter of semantics. Respect does need to be demanded.

Jeff - I respect your wife's convictions. I suppose if you grow up with a culture that embraces a Faith, it would be hard, or maybe inconceivable, to deny it. The acceptance of evolution as Fact, as I see it as Fact and not Faith or theory, by your wife or the entire world, is not going to change anything really important, I think. That is, as long as we all can respect each other for having different perspectives on things. It's when I feel like I, or my children, can't rely on scientific evidence to make our decisions without facing ridicule, that I start to feel like I'm entering a Cultural Revolution, minus Mao's Little Red Book. Personally, I'm big on the turtle thing. But then, I'm big on turtles, LOL.

Erinberry - Gasp! We have good friends who moved here last summer from Tennessee. I wonder if they feel like they're back in it? And, for future references, humans are not monkeys. Monkeys have tails. Apes do not.

Katharine - it bugs me that she allowed the laughter without recourse for N. We are also having a few bullying issues in her class. Today, we gave N full permission to defend herself in any way necessary, including using karate. We've gone the route of talking to parents and the teacher about it, if they won't defend her, she (and we) have to.

To be fair, there are nice kids there. And they do stand up for each other. Just a few bad apples, I guess. Wasn't I just lamenting that less than half the class showed up at her party? I really do like most of the kids. And I think N does, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next