Monday, November 28, 2005

Prejudice

I really don't want to question the intelligence and moral value of people because of their choice of channel to program into the number one spot for their XM radio. But I do.

I've gotten into rows with people viscerally repulsed by the thought of interracial relationships. One claimed she wasn't a bigot because, hey, her daughter's best friend is black. There are times I wonder, and I admit I wonder with a smirk, how the mother would react if it evolved into an interracial lesbian relationship.

For me, my telling Flaming Brand of Bigotry is this admission: Some of my best friends listen to Fox News.

I really don't know how they do it. How they survive without their brains imploding is beyond me. Just like some can't fathom why a white woman would fall for a black man, I can't conceive how people listen to that drivel, much less believe it.

The KKK burns crosses on mixed-couple's front lawns. I fight back a sneer when someone tells me what they heard on Fox News on the way to work.

Them: Jim Crow laws, mob violence, lynchings. Me: Rolling eyes, heavy sighs, spit-takes.

"They can be good people. If they just had stronger family values, they'd get off welfare."

"I love my friends. Even though they're misguided, they have a good heart."

There's nothing wrong with people of a different race, it's just their skin color that's the issue.

There's nothing wrong with my friends, it's just Fox News that's the problem.

Just like racial bigots, I see no need to change my opinions about my chosen target.

The only difference between the racial bigot and me, of course, is that I'm right.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger aaron said...

Alas, it's difficult to reconcile a liking for an individual and his/her allegiance to Faux News. I've learned to like certain family members despite this character flaw, but it's more necessary when you're talking family as opposed to friends. I do have a couple of friends who like Faux, but they're not close ones -- I think it's hard for me to be close to someone whose values don't generally agree with mine.

 
At 8:52 AM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Katherine Zander said...

I guess when you share enough other stuff with someone, their chosen brand of entertainment is forgivible. The folks I work with, well, I have to work with them, and they really are nice to me. No one is perfect, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next